Youth Code Jam is all about inspiring kids to tell computers what to do by learning to code. With a focus on neurodiversity and parent engagement, we work to connect the dots from playing online to creating online to real world jobs. And we are making a difference.
Our Mission Statement: Youth Code Jam fosters an interest in technology by introducing upper elementary through high school students to computer science. We get kids excited about programming, build their confidence in their skills and inspire them to imagine themselves in the emerging technology-driven jobs of tomorrow.
More importantly, here’s what some of our kids say:
“It would help if you could have [Code Jam] every day so kids can learn even more.”
“It was awesome today. I got to learn more about coding and I learned in middle school I can do more programs that include coding.”
“They wouldn’t let me break Minecraft, but it was fun anyway.”
“It felt really good because I tried a new thing.”
How well does our model work? Take a look and see what you think…
- 50% of our students qualify for free lunch
- 48% are girls
- 68% identify as an ethnic minority
- more than half are 13 years and younger
- half have never coded before attending one of our events
But wait, there’s more than demographics. There’s real, very real impact.
- 62% of our students say they “definitely” are interested in working in a job that requires coding
- 90% of our students say they “definitely” want to continue to learn after a Youth Code Jam event.
- Six months later, 75% of their parents told us their children were showing a greater interest in technology after attending a Youth Code Jam event.